Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I'm a Cloth Diaper Addict



My 4 reasons for choosing cloth

#1 SAVES THE PLANET: Did you know that 5 million tons of untreated waste and a total of 2 billion tons of urine feces, plastic and paper are added to landfills each year? It takes around 80,000 pounds of plastic and 200,000 trees a year to manufacture the disposable diapers just for US babies alone! Not to mention that it takes up to 500 years for most diapers to decompose! That’s a lot of poop and plastic! Also, did you know that the fine print on disposable diapers tells you to “Shake baby soil into the toilet.” I mean REALLY…how many of you actually do that? I know I didn’t.



#2 SAVES MONEY:  Did you know that on average a person changes 6,000 diapers from birth to potty training?  It’s no wonder that diapers are a 7 billion dollar industry costing parents at least $2,500 on diapers and wipes on one child. If financial savings is your reason and you are aren’t afraid of a little extra step when diapering- you can cloth diaper for $200! That is a saving of $2,300! The best part is that once you have all the supplies- no need to buy more for the next child! You already have it! Here for a diaper calculator from diaperpin.com

#3 BETTER FOR MY BABY: Did you know that there are concerns that disposable diapers contain is dyes, Sodium Polyacrylate (the gel), and Dioxin ( by-product of bleaching paper)? It is also noted that cloth diapers cause less diaper rashes due to their materials that actually wicks away the moisture from your baby’s bum.

#4 THEY ARE SO CUTE:  I mean really- how could you argue with me on this one. They are just so cute on little bums and the bright colors and patterns make diaper changing more fun for me. After all, I have 6,000 of them to change right? Might as well make it more fun!

So, if you are thinking about the possibility of making the switch- stay tuned because I will be talking more about it this week. Stay tuned for more on how to get started tomorrow on How Does She!

Also, here are some links I found about saving cash with cloth diapers...take a looksie.


Diaper Decision 






Thirsties site

Coming up next...the Givaway...

besitos,
xo


1 comment:

  1. Cristi,
    I am so happy that I stumbled upon your blog. I am in graduate school right now for clinical social work. I have always wondered what I was going to do when I started having kids and wanted to still excel in my career. I tried to go to your counseling website, but the link didn't work. Any advice for a grad student worried about the future. Let me know. Thanks!

    www.loganplustaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete