Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Family: Creating a Family Vision Board




To know where you are heading you must know where you are going. 

I love creating vision boards to be able to visualize what I want for myself and my life. A few months ago, I set out to create a 2014 vision board for myself. You can find the process and final results  here. 

But I know this same principle applies to a family. Having a family vision not only can help guide and get family members on the same page, but it is a great reminder during moments of possible conflict. 

If there is ever a moment where a family member is behaving in a manner opposite to the family vision, I point to it and ask questions such as:


"What could we do right now to become this family in our family vision?" 
"How can I help you so we can get back on track to our family vision?"
"What do you think needs to happen so we can be inline with our family vision?"
"What is something we can do right now to follow our family vision?"

You want to create one?
Close your eyes...well not now but after you read this.

Ask yourself this: "If you could create a family vibe and culture what would that look like?" Use all your senses and really visualize what that means. What are you guys doing? What does your home feel like? What does it taste like? What does it sound like? What does it smell like?

 We first wrote out thoughts and words that could describe our family. Common words that came up were, fun, dancing, kind, loving, sharing, christ-centered, supporting, helping, traveling, traditions, etc. 

Then, we gathered magazines and a poster board and everyone cut out images that spoke to them and we glued it on the board. Don't worry how it will look... just let everyone in the family including the real young ones help and be a part of it.

When it is finished your family can talk about ways to be able to be the things you discussed as a family. Hang it on the wall as a reminder.

There you go... Now go and create the family you want to become!

Besitos, xo


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! I've made one for myself, but not for the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so fabulous Laila! I love looking back on my throughout the year to see how much I have progressed without even knowing!

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of a vision board so I made one up and it is a good daily reminder of the things I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And not even what you "need" to work on but what you "want" work on! ;)

      Delete